How to get a good nights sleep!
My friend kindly pointed out that her best tip for a good nights sleep is to not have children so I would like to say that the below is not applicable to parents of young children!!!!
- Don’t sleep with your phone…. You may laugh but people do! I actually charge mine outside of the room so that I am not tempted to take a cheeky look. Not only is the blue light bad but what you see may stress you out… an email…a message a facebook post. Just ditch it! It also means when you wake up you don’t get distracted and can start your day well.
- Its better to have a cool room and have a nice snuggly duvet cover than be too hot so ditch the high heating.
- Try and read for half an hour before bed.
- Go to bed when you are tired…sounds silly but don’t feel you have to go to bed if you are wide awake.
- Try and stick to a routine of waking up and going to bed.
- Avoid liquids a couple of hours before. No one wants to be getting up through the night for the toilet so avoid if possible,
- Avoid foods and drinks that keep you awake or are too rich. You know what they say about cheese!
- No caffeine after 6 - I actually have no caffeine after lunch if I can.
- If you have anything on your mind get it out! Write it down. In a journal or write a to do list – whatever make you feel better.
- Never go to bed on an argument……
- If there are certain times of the month when you feel more awake than others check out the moon cycles! People are often more awake on a full moon and new moon. Its actually true! If you are wide awake at three sometimes its better to just get up, write what’s on your mind and I am actually going to contradict myself here on liquids as I usually have a herbal tea !
- I always find if you have exercised through the day you have a better nights sleep too…… so get walking, running or whatever is your thing.
- A little meditation can help before bed or if you had to the Calm app you could even have Matthew McConaughey read you a story for bed!
Sleep tight and sweet dreams