Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 2 x Sweet Potatoes
- 1 x Zuccini
- 1 x Red Pepper
- 1 x Red onion
- 8 x Mushrooms
- 1 x small bunch of Asparagus
- 1/4 cup Breadcrumbs (you can add more or remove)
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese (you can add more or remove)
- 25g Butter for the mash (can leave out if you wish)
- 1 x glass of White Wine (or water)
- 2 x teaspoons of Thyme
- 1 x large Garlic Clove crushed
- 2 x tablespoons of Canola or Olive Oil
- 1 x cube or two tablespoons of Veg stock.
- Peel and cut the potatoes in to large cubes and place in a pan of warm water and bring to the boil. They take about 10-15 mins. Keep checking with a knife to see when they are soft enough to drain and subsequently mash.
- Finely chop all veg whilst the potatoes are bubbling away.
- Heat large pan with two tablespoons of Olive or Canola oil
- Add the mushrooms and fry until they soften (about 2 mins) and then add the onion.
- Once the onion is soft add in all veg and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add Thyme and crushed Garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add in water and\or wine with a tablespoon of veg stock. Simmer until the mash is ready.
- When potatoes are ready, drain and mash with the butter (you can leave the butter out). It's a good idea to mash in the dry pan that they were cooked in on a low heat. The heat will dry off any liquid in the potatoes but be careful to remove from the heat if the liquid evaporates as you don't want them to burn. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Layer the Veg in the bottom of your pie dish.
- Apply the potatoes on top and smooth with back of spoon.
- Optional - Sprinkle with the grated Cheddar Cheese and finally Breadcrumbs.
Pop in the oven at 180 for about half an hour until the top is golden.