Spicy Spelt Pasta with Lemon and Basil
- 1 x Red Capsicum
- 1 x Red onion
- 8 x Mushrooms
- 2 x Garlic cloves
- 1 x Lemon (juice and grated rind)
- 1 x Glass of white wine (optional, can use some stock instead)
- 1 x Small bunch of spinach
- 1 x Small bunch Basil
- 2 x Tbs Olive oil
- 250g Spelt Pasta
- Chilli flakes, Salt, Pepper and Parmesan to taste
- Optional Creme fraiche or cream
You can really add or delete some of the veg in this dish which is great! The important element of this dish is the delicious blend of basil, lemon and garlic.
- Finely slice the mushrooms onion and capsicum and place to one side.
- Grate, chop or crush the garlic. Finely chop basil.
- Fill and boil kettle ready for pasta. Add a little salt to large pasta pan with the boiled water and pasta and cook as per instructions (about 10 minutes).
- Heat olive oil in fry pan and then add mushrooms with some salt and pepper.
- Once soft add the onion and capsicum with garlic and chilli flakes.
- Grate the rind of the lemon and then squeeze the juice in to the pan.
- Add glass of wine and once alcohol cooked off add in the chopped basil and lemon rind.
- Turn down heat and you can add a little creme fraiche or creme if you wish.
- Once pasta cooked drain pasta and add back to the pasta pan, add in the veg and sauce from the fry pan and stir to coat pasta.
- Serve and add some parmesan to taste!